Ian Ashby: March 1926 July 2017
Ian Ashby attended Lincoln College from 1949 - 1952 as a Rural Field Cadet (RFC). After graduating he joined the Department of Agriculture and became a Tutor at the Flock House Training Centre. In 1953 Ian moved to Hamilton and then on to Te Kuiti with the Valuation Department, when around 1960 he then moved on to Rotorua as a Valuer and became Senior Valuer. Ian then moved on to Blenheim in approximately 1966 as a District Valuer, returning back to Auckland in 1968 as a District Valuer Rural. In the mid 1970's Ian was in the group of Government Valuers that opened the Government Valuation Department South Auckland Branch at Manukau where he was District Valuer for a short period of time, as well as a Rural examiner in Auckland, before retiring to farm pigs at Tapapakanga on the old family farm.
In 1980 Ian returned to the Valuation Department at Manukau as a Rural Valuer and continued to work there until approximately 1988 when he retired again. In 1988 he joined Barraclough & Associates to carry out the One Tree Hill Borough Revaluation and subsequently joined the Auckland Regional Council in the early 1990s to formalise easements over property where there were drainage pipes.
Ian retired for the third time in the mid 1990's to his home in Papatoetoe where he has lived ever since.
He was a Fellow of the Institute, and on the Auckland Branch Fellowship committee.